Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
The third portion of the small intestine, between the jejunum and the cecum.
- ‘The midgut eventually develops into distal duodenum, jejunum, ileum, caecum, appendix, ascending colon, and proximal two thirds of the transverse colon.’
- ‘The latter might be a confusion with ileum, the third portion of the small intestine.’
- ‘Ultimately, the shunts were converted to jejunoileostomies in which the upper portion of the jejunum was anastomosed to the lower portion of the ileum.’
- ‘Approximately 90% of the fluid contained in the ileum (ie, distal portion of the small intestine) is absorbed in the colon.’
- ‘The patient was treated with surgical resection of the distal jejunum, proximal ileum, and the 3 nodules of the liver.’
Late 17th century from medieval Latin, variant of ilium.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips