Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
(of a pod or fruit) not splitting open to release the seeds when ripe.
- ‘It appears that the dehiscent and indehiscent forms do not belong to separate species, rather dehiscence is segregating within populations.’
- ‘Despite this distribution, dehiscence does not occur in two sets: when the flower opens usually only one or two stamens are fertile, the others being short and indehiscent; these gradually elongate and open.’
- ‘He observed that only pulpy, but indehiscent, fruits with a juicy, sweet flesh produce ethanol when becoming overripe.’
- ‘An Achene is a single-seeded dry indehiscent fruit in which the seedcoat is not part of the fruit coat.’
- ‘Some legume pods, such as carob and mesquite, are indehiscent and do not split open.’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips