Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
plural nounMedicine Zoology
Substances taken into the body as nourishment; food and drink.
- ‘Rapid rate of ingesta passage is well documented.’
- ‘Unstretched components were measured before removal of ingesta to reduce variation in measurements associated with elasticity of those organs.’
- ‘In this case there was no ingesta found, therefore no further tests could be carried out for toxicology.’
- ‘The foregut as defined here should be composed of ingesta and fish-derived material including digestive enzymes.’
- ‘Correlations detected for the April and June dates, but not May, may be related to moisture content of ingesta at these times.’
Early 18th century from Latin, ‘things brought in’, neuter plural of ingestus, past participle of ingerere.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips