Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
The distance between two adjacent columns.
- ‘For columns with these diameters in diastyle, the intercolumniation would have measured between 1.80 m and 2.90 m (2.40 m for a bottom diameter of 0.60 m).’
- ‘Hawksmoor's intercolumniation is 18 feet, a formidable span for a stone entablature.’
- ‘In his treatise Vitruvius listed different intercolumniation types: 3 diameters for diastilos, 2.25 diameters for eustilos, 2 diameters for eustylos and 1.25 diameters for picnostylos.’
- ‘He saw the distance between the columns as an integral part of each order, with for instance two and a quarter column diameters serving as the intercolumniation for the Ionic order, and two for the Corinthian.’
- ‘The gigantic temples of antiquity could never have been constructed had the architects adhered to the notion that the distance of two diameters and a half, called the eustyle, for the intercolumniation was essential, for architraves could not have been procured.’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips