1An artificial language, devised for machine translation, that makes explicit the distinctions necessary for successful translation into a target language, even where they are not present in the source language.
- ‘Ideas about interlinguas are intimately tied up with ideas about the representation of meaning.’
- ‘Two clearly different understandings of interlinguas were evident at the pre-workshop.’
- ‘IL2, which is in its design stage, is intended to be an interlingua, albeit a relatively simple one.’
- ‘To get a better feel for the way interlinguas work, let's look at two aspects that complicate the transfer phase: word translation and tense.’
- ‘Among the existing interlinguas, special attention will be given to UNL (Universal Networking Language).’
- 1.1mass noun An artificial international language formed of elements common to the Romance languages, designed primarily for scientific and technical use.
- ‘As we speak, Esperanto is being corrupted by upstart languages such as Interlingua, Klingon, Java & various cryptophasic tongues.’
- ‘In this blog, I intend to write about languages, to translate news about languages into Interlingua, and to talk about various other things that seem interesting to me.’
- ‘The orthography of Interlingua is based on the 26 letters of the Roman alphabet with no diacritical or accent marks.’
Early 20th century from inter-‘between’ + Latin lingua ‘tongue’.