The transfer of genetic information from one species to another as a result of hybridization between them and repeated backcrossing.
- ‘Therefore, there is the potential for gene introgression across species via backcross of hybrid females to the parental species.’
- ‘This would rule out scenarios of numt evolution involving horizontal transfer or introgression between species.’
- ‘In the absence of selection against genetic introgression, the incipient species should fuse.’
- ‘To introduce desirable genes from blue catfish into channel catfish through introgression, a genetic linkage map is helpful.’
- ‘The two populations allow for a comparative phenotypic analysis of species-specific genome introgressions in a common genetic background.’
Mid 17th century from Latin introgredi ‘step in’, from intro- ‘to the inside’ + gradi ‘proceed, walk’, on the pattern of egression, ingression.