What Is The Origin Of "Sleep Tight"?
An island or peninsula, especially a small one.‘Crusoe's fabled isle’in place names ‘the British Isles’
- ‘This house is set on the side of a low wooded hill overlooking Lough Gill and the lake isle of Innisfree.’
- ‘There are the Bikini Islanders, a gentle people who consider the tiny isle their home.’
- ‘As my thinking cap is keeping me positive, the emerald isle moves me.’
- ‘Suffice to say some people on this fair isle have no sense of humour.’
- ‘Land of beaches, hills and valleys, fairest isle of all the earth.’
Middle English ile, from Old French, from Latin insula. The spelling with s (also in 15th-century French) is influenced by Latin.