Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
(in Mexico and the southwestern US) a thatched wattle-and-daub hut.
- ‘Here the Seri have built both Mexican-style jacales of wattle and daub, and small wood-frame structures.’
- ‘The jacales were made in a variety of sizes and styles, depending on the method preferred by the workers.’
- ‘They have also found evidence of Spanish jacales, room blocks in an octagonal pattern within the stockade wall.’
- ‘If so, they likely lived in jacales, a traditional structure constructed of vertical poles set into the ground without interrupted sills.’
- ‘The dwellers practiced minimal agriculture supplemented by hunting and gathering, made a simple red or brown pottery, and lived in pit houses and, later, above-ground jacales of adobe-plastered poles.’
Mexican Spanish, from Nahuatl xacalli, contraction of xamitl calli ‘adobe house’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips