1A side post or surface of a doorway, window, or fireplace.‘he leaned against the door jamb’
post, doorpost, upright, frame, pillarView synonyms
- ‘Salvaged doors and windows housed in new jambs set up contrasts between new and old.’
- ‘The widths of original door and window jambs were calculated to fit the existing wall, and the addition of the new paneling makes the wall thicker by 1/4 ‘or more.’’
- ‘Extend window and door jambs as needed so they will be flush with the face of the new paneling.’
- ‘In addition to that, door seal kits include high-grade neoprene door jambs for the vertical sides and the top of the door.’
- ‘If the door still does not seal tightly to all sides of the jamb you either installed the weatherstripping badly or the door is bent and in need of replacement.’
- 1.1A columnar mass or pillar in a mine or quarry.
Middle English from Old French jambe ‘leg, vertical support’, based on Greek kampē ‘joint’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips