1A sweet flavored drink made from a sugar syrup, sometimes containing alcohol or medication.
- ‘This recipe makes enough syrup for 44 juleps.’
- ‘So if you don't want to drink a julep, you can use a tincture instead.’
- ‘We drink tall mojitos, juleps made with lime juice, rum, and crushed mint.’
- ‘Mint juleps were also popular beverages from morning till midday.’
- ‘Mint can do much more than dress up a julep or a lamb chop.’
- 1.1short for mint julep
Late Middle English from Old French, from medieval Latin julapium, via Arabic from Persian gulāb, from gul ‘rose’ + āb ‘water’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips