Denoting a group of structures secreting regulatory hormones into the arteriole which leads into a glomerulus in the kidney.‘juxtaglomerular apparatus’
- ‘Renin is secreted from the juxtaglomerular apparatus of the kidney in response to glomerular underperfusion or a reduced salt intake.’
- ‘The macula densa and JG cells are jointly called the juxtaglomerular apparatus.’
- ‘If GFR decreases, the filtrate ion concentration decreases; juxtaglomerular cells then dilate the afferent arteriole and renin is released.’
- ‘A drop in pressure results in the release of renin from the juxtaglomerular cells of the kidneys.’
- ‘Blood pressure is regulated by the secretion of renin from the juxtaglomerular apparatus which increases reabsorption.’
1930s from Latin juxta ‘near to’ + glomerular (see glomerulus).
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips