Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
(in Sudan and neighbouring regions) a dry watercourse or ravine.
ravine, canyon, gully, pass, defile, couloir, deep narrow valley
- ‘It is composed of a network of khors, streams and rivers between the Bahr al-Arab, or Kiir, and the Raqaba al-Zarqa, or Ngol.’
- ‘There is a large khor between Gubbet Selim and Nilwaj on the side of which exist the ruins of an old temple.’
- ‘I saw straight in front of me a khor with rocks on either side filled with a dense mass of Dervishes packed around three flags, yelling defiance at us.’
- ‘The vegetation is restricted mostly to the bed of the khor and is reduced during the drought.’
- ‘So remote are some of these khors that people still have their water delivered by boat and speak a dialect almost unrecognisable to Arabic speakers from Muscat.’
Late 19th century representing a pronunciation of Arabic ḵawr ‘low land between two stretches of higher ground’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips