Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
usually with modifier
An enzyme that catalyzes the transfer of a phosphate group from ATP to a specified molecule.
- ‘In general, protein kinases are enzymes that phosphorylate proteins, which then become activated.’
- ‘Protein kinases turn on other enzymes by a chemical reaction called phosphorylation that adds phosphate tags to proteins.’
- ‘The consequence of these mutations is a cascade phosphorylation of certain serine/threonine protein kinases.’
- ‘Protein kinases are enzymes that participate in signal transduction processes and, thus, in the control of cell growth.’
- ‘Protein tyrosine kinases play fundamental roles in signal transduction pathways.’
Early 20th century from Greek kinein ‘to move’+ -ase.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips