Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A steep-sided, wooded ravine or valley.‘One can only marvel at the vision of Andrew Geddes Bain, South Africa's famous pioneer road builder, who laid out the road that threads its way through the kloof well over more than a century ago.’‘They were, in fact, driven back up the kloof by the swarm, and one of them was badly stung.’gorge, abyss, canyon, ravine, gully, gulf, pass, defile, couloir, crevasse, cleft, rift, rent
verb[with object]usually as noun kloofing
Explore kloofs as a sport.
- ‘The disciplines in the race include hiking, running, kloofing, tubing, cycling, swimming and a few surprises.’
- ‘The physically fit and adventure loving usually take the long route by ‘kloofing’ down the river.’
- ‘Some of the best rock-climbing can be done, there is mountain biking, kloofing and hiking.’
- ‘We have a number of wonderful rivers which are regularly kloofed, with or without additional floatation.’
- ‘The art of canyoning, known as kloofing in South Africa, is a hot favorite with self-guided and escorted trips.’
- ‘Spend the morning canoeing then cycling, or kloofing, through the magical Wilderness reserve.’
- ‘For the more adventurous kloofing is possible on some of the guided trails.’
- ‘A fabulous day in the scenic Boland Mountains will either be a great introduction to kloofing or the pinnacle of your kloofing experiences!’
- ‘A variety of adrenaline pumping activities including skydiving, rock-climbing, abseiling, canoeing/river adventures, gliding, kloofing and mountain biking, are available.’
- ‘Whether it's the adrenalin rush of abseiling down a vertical cliff, the hectic pace of kloofing or reaching the summit of a majestic mountain there will be an adventure to suit you.’
Afrikaans, from Middle Dutch clove ‘cleft’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips