Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A plaited doughnut dipped in syrup.
- ‘The meal finishes with koeksisters, plaits of deep fried dough dipped in syrup.’
- ‘And if the malva pudding isn't enough, diners can finally fill up on koeksisters and coffee.’
- ‘Like a genuine bazaar, brötchens, sausage rolls, hotdogs, pancakes, hamburgers, koeksisters, boerewors and sosaties with various cakes and puddings will be served.’
- ‘Why didn't they slap an injunction on samoosas, koeksisters, bobotie, braaivleis, witblits or mampoer while they were about it?’
- ‘The hot fried koeksisters must be dropped into the cold syrup.’
From Afrikaans koe(k)sister, perhaps from koek ‘cake’ + sissen ‘to sizzle’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips