Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A member of the priestly class, having certain rights and duties in the synagogue.
- ‘The elder of the town, Mattathias, who is a cohen, that is of the priestly class, refuses.’
- ‘Some maintain that Elijah is a kohen, who will serve as the High Priest in the days of the Messiah, in the Third Temple.’
- ‘It includes ritual handwashing of the kohanim by the levites.’
- ‘In fact, the High Priest, whose role it was to preserve peace among the Jews and between God and His children below, was called a kohen.’
- ‘If a cohen raises a boy as his son, the boy will not have the privileges nor the constraints of the priesthood.’
From Hebrew, literally ‘priest’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips