Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
German civilization and culture (sometimes used derogatorily to suggest elements of racism, authoritarianism, or militarism).
- ‘Such a challenge to German Kultur and administration sharpened German nationalism and began to transform it from a cosmopolitan into an exclusive kind.’
- ‘The image of the German musician as a gifted and attractive man who knew how to express his feelings became a symbol for Germany's ubiquitous and attractive Kultur.’
- ‘The authentic Kultur of the German people was surely to be preferred to the artificial Civilization of a cosmopolitan, materialistic French-speaking elite.’
- ‘Traditionally, music has been instrumental to the shaping of German national identity and it loomed large as the centerpiece of German Kultur, much larger than painting ever did.’
- ‘In contrast, German Kultur included knowledge, education, civilization, national genius and the arts (high culture) all of which expressed the national soul.’
German, from Latin cultura or French culture (see culture).
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips