1(giving position or direction) left.
- ‘l to r: Gordon, Anthony, Jerry, and Mark’
2(chiefly in horse racing) length(s)
- ‘distances 5 l, 3 l’
3l.(in textual references) line.
- ‘l. 648’
- ‘a salary of 4l. a week’
(in mathematical formulas) length.
1The twelfth letter of the alphabet.
- 1.1Denoting the next after K in a set of items, categories, etc.
2LA shape like that of a capital L.
- ‘a four-story L-shaped building’
3The Roman numeral for 50.
4North American informal A loss, setback, or failure.
- ‘some folks just don't know how to take an L, do they?’
1(in tables of sports results) games lost.
3L.Lake, Loch, or Lough (chiefly on maps)
- ‘L. Ontario’
4Large (as a clothes size).
5L.Linnaeus (as the source of names of animal and plant species)
- ‘Swallowtail Butterfly Papilio machaon (L., 1758)’