1The laced fastening of a shoe or garment.‘they struggled with each other's clothing, tearing at the lacing’
- ‘the elaborate lacings of his shirt’
- ‘In addition, it makes the corset look ‘finished’ when the lacings are not totally closed.’
- ‘Because the lacings had been moved to either the back or front, a stomacher was worn to hide them.’
- ‘Also, corsets with side lacings can be more readily adjusted for a custom fit than can corsets with just one adjustment point in the back.’
- ‘It turns out, however, that shorter lacings are possible if the lace doesn't have to pass alternately through the eyelets on the left and right side of the shoe.’
- ‘And then his hands moved to the side lacings of her dress.’
- ‘This ‘snap’ would soon supplant the button, the clasp, straps, and lacings as the primary method of fastening gloves.’
2Lace trimming, especially on a uniform.
- ‘Her face was bathed in dappled sunlight through the lacing of the parasol.’
3A dash of liquor added to a drink.
- ‘coffee to which he added a liberal lacing of brandy’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips