1lay something down, lay down somethingPut something down.
- ‘she finished her cake and laid down her fork’
2lay something down, lay down somethingFormulate and enforce or insist on a rule or principle.
formulate, stipulate, set down, draw up, frame
- ‘stringent criteria have been laid down’
3lay something down, lay down somethingPay or wager money.
- ‘when it comes to field sports, large sums of money are laid down’
4lay something down, lay down somethingBegin to construct a ship or railroad.
- ‘twenty-four ships were projected, of which twenty were laid down’
- 4.1Build up a deposit of a substance.
- ‘these cells lay down new bone tissue’
5lay something down, lay down somethingStore wine in a cellar.
store, put into store, keep for future use, keep, save
- ‘each bottle has to be laid down for several years before it is ready to drink’
6lay something down, lay down somethinginformal Record a piece of music.
- ‘he was invited to the studio to lay down some backing vocals’