1The sediment of wine in the barrel.‘The wine is aged on the lees in the bottle for about three years prior to disgorgement.’
sediment, dregs, deposit, grounds, settlings, residue, remains, accumulation, silt, sludgeView synonyms
- ‘These have long been used by the Champagne industry to seal bottles while they are aging on the lees.’
- ‘The title came about when the two owners tasted an experimental Chardonnay that had been left on the lees in barrels for some time.’
- ‘A special building is used for the ageing of Milmanda, a Chardonnay wine fermented in small oak casks which spends a long period in contact with its own lees.’
- ‘But how do you sort the free-run juice from the lees?’
- 1.1The most worthless part or parts of something.
- ‘the lees of the Venetian underworld’
Late Middle English plural of obsolete lee in the same sense, from Old French lie, from medieval Latin liae (plural), of Gaulish origin.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips