Basic Guidelines For English Spellings
1An act of helping someone to mount a horse or high object.
- ‘ give me a leg up over the wall’
- 1.1An act of helping someone or something to improve their position.
grant, allowance, endowment, contribution, donation, bursary, gift, present, investment, bestowal, benefaction, allocation, allotment, handout
- ‘the council is to provide a financial leg up for the club’
- get a leg up on
Get an advantage over.
- ‘in a bid to get a leg up on its rivals in the gaming industry, Microsoft introduced the console late last year’
Have an advantage over.
- ‘he'd certainly have a leg up on the competition’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips