1A high-protein pulse which is dried and then soaked and cooked prior to eating.
- ‘It was on a very savoury bed of lentils which had been cooked with bacon and winter vegetables.’
- ‘You sat on wooden benches and ate lentils and brown rice from wooden bowls.’
- ‘When the lentils are cooked, drain them well and add to the tomato sauce.’
- ‘Catherine will show you how to cook with beans, lentils, nuts and seeds.’
- ‘Add lentils, onions, garlic, tomatoes, cilantro, and salt and pepper to taste.’
- ‘Spoon some carrots, lentils, zucchini, buckthornberries, and grapes around the dish.’
- ‘Stir in the garlic and lentils and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.’
- ‘The vegan should use a combination of beans, soy, lentils, nuts and veggies each day to get the complete protein package.’
- ‘In a saucepan, combine the chicken stock, lentils, thyme, garlic, and bacon.’
- ‘On the bread was a mushy mound of lentils, rice and carrots.’
- ‘Cook lentils over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until they are tender but not completely cooked.’
- ‘Add the mushroom and lentils, and cook for two minutes.’
- ‘Accompanied by whole grain bread, a soup rich with ingredients such as vegetables, beans, lentils and rice makes a simple wholesome meal.’
- ‘A collection of tender lentils, carrots and cinnamon, roasted beets, fried eggplant and onions, and warm potatoes quickly fill the table.’
- ‘Add the water, the bouillon cubes, the lentils, the herbs, a bit of salt and a bit of pepper.’
- ‘As her hand slides into the cool mound of lentils, the camera cuts to her face, which is glowing.’
- ‘Currently, the leading commercial producers of lentils include India, Turkey, Canada, China and Syria.’
- ‘A variety of lentils exist with colors that range from yellow to red-orange to green, brown and black.’
- ‘All those beans, chickpeas, lentils and vegetables like broccoli, cabbage, eggplant and onions gave me such gas I was miserable.’
- ‘Make sure you clean that mess up afterwards if you're going to cook those lentils there.’
2The plant which yields lentils, native to the Mediterranean and Africa and grown also for fodder.
Lens culinaris, family Leguminosae‘Settlements began to encourage the growth of plants such as barley and lentils and the domestication of pigs, sheep and goats.’‘Analysis of pollens found in excavations suggest that the earliest vegetal species to be cultivated were pulses - wild peas, lentils, and chick peas.’
Middle English from Old French lentille, from Latin lenticula, diminutive of lens, lent- ‘lentil’.