1Willingness to respect or accept behaviour or opinions different from one's own; openness to new ideas.
- ‘one of the basic tenets of liberalism is tolerance’
- 1.1The holding of political views that are socially progressive and promote social welfare.
- ‘Brooklyn prides itself on being a great bastion of liberalism and diversity’
- 1.2Theology The belief that many traditional beliefs are dispensable, invalidated by modern thought, or liable to change.
2A political and social philosophy that promotes individual rights, civil liberties, democracy, and free enterprise.‘representative democracy operates under the principles of classical liberalism’
- ‘They reject classical liberalism's singularly optimistic view of international relations.’
- ‘He rejected the liberalism of postwar America as amoral.’
- ‘Despite his cautionary tone, he believes that economic liberalism will eventually win out.’
- ‘Social liberalism is an optimistic creed, which flourishes best in good times.’
- ‘The emerging political liberalism in this period centered its attention on the American Constitution.’
- ‘The political liberalism of the moderates was matched by their economic liberalism.’
- ‘Toward the end of his ministry, he led the church out of the Baptist Union because of the widening influence of theological liberalism in the Union.’
- ‘He was in the vanguard of the generation of postwar intellectuals who sought to steer the region toward a rationalist secular liberalism.’
- ‘He made a speech in which he condemned bourgeois liberalism and asserted the need for continuing class struggle.’
- ‘There has been a creeping erosion of the social welfare state, as neo-conservative political philosophy has come to replace the social democratic liberalism of the postwar era.’
- ‘Liberalism, not conservatism, was the default ideology because Roosevelt made his arguments in stark and clear ideological terms.’
3(also Liberalism)The doctrine of a Liberal Party or (in the UK) the Liberal Democrats.
- ‘working-class support for Liberalism’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips