1A weight in boxing and other sports intermediate between middleweight and heavyweight. In the amateur boxing scale it ranges from 165 to 178 pounds (75 to 81 kg).
- ‘On April 22, 1903, Root defeated Charles ‘Kid’ McCoy to become the first light heavyweight champion, and the division has flourished ever since.’
- 1.1A light heavyweight boxer or other competitor.‘It also served as a haven for out of shape light heavyweights that could not longer make weight.’
- ‘Walcott fought a number of other light heavyweights and heavyweights.’
- ‘He has quickly built a national reputation as one of the most feared young light heavyweights in boxing.’
- ‘He has to be considered in an all time listing of great light heavyweights because of his longevity, and also because no one took the crown from him in the ring.’
- ‘I always found the spectacle of the light heavyweights to be intriguing.’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips