Basic Guidelines For English Spellings
1The construction or use of locks on waterways.‘When you are within a couple miles, monitor Channel 14 to hear if other boats are requesting lockage.’
- ‘Availability of this type of lockage depends on the ship traffic for the day, and as such cannot be scheduled.’
- ‘Remain moored until the lockage is complete, the gate is fully opened, and the lockmaster signals you to depart.’
- ‘If you are required to wait, the lockmaster should be able to give an approximate time available for lockage.’
- ‘The towboat alone is separated from its barges and moved alongside the barges for lockage.’
- ‘There would be descending lockage the whole way, and the Lake Erie water would have continued in the Canal until it arrived at the Hudson!’
- ‘The question of lockage becomes a very interesting point.’
- 1.1The amount of rise and fall of water levels resulting from the use of locks.
- ‘The lockage in Rhode Island varies by only a few between the actual and the estimated; while in Massachusetts, there is a great deal of difference in the number.’
- 1.2Money paid as a toll for the use of a lock.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips