Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A synthetic drug of the opiate class which inhibits peristalsis and is used to treat diarrhoea.
- ‘Effective antidiarrhoeal drugs such as loperamide and diphenoxylate can be used when necessary.’
- ‘Empiric treatment of traveler's diarrhea with antibiotics and loperamide is effective and often limits symptoms to one day.’
- ‘But treatment with an antibiotic and loperamide often can cure you within 24 hours.’
- ‘Anti-diarrhoeal agents, such as loperamide, are sometimes helpful to reduce bowel frequency but should be avoided in children.’
- ‘All four studies of loperamide reported an improvement in diarrhea but no change in pain or abdominal distension.’
1970s probably from (ch)lo(ro-) + (pi)per(idine) + amide.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips