Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
variant spelling of mama
1technical A milk-secreting organ of female mammals (in humans, the breast).
chest, bosom, breasts
- ‘The breasts came to be understood as a sign of the anomalous nature of the human body, as other mammals do not have prominent mammae: only human females do.’
- ‘Adult lions have 30 teeth and adult females have four mammae.’
- ‘In general, females have enough mammae for each young in the largest litters to have his or her own.’
- ‘Borellus remarks that he knew of a woman of ordinary size, each of whose mammae weighed about 30 pounds, and she supported them in bags hung about her neck.’
- 1.1A corresponding nonsecretory structure in male mammals.
Old English, from Latin, ‘breast’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips