A large edible billfish of warm seas, which is a highly prized game fish.
Genera Makaira and Tetrapterus, family Istiophoridae: several species
- ‘The blue marlin and its cousins, the white marlin, swordfish and sailfish, bring up the rear.’
- ‘Although the crew reckoned it was a poor day, we still caught two good sailfish, a white marlin and a barracuda.’
- ‘Billfish fall into four groups, treated under marlin, sailfish, spearfish, and swordfish.’
- ‘In turn, the squid is preyed upon by large fish such as marlin and swordfish, and it's a main staple of sperm whales.’
- ‘The riskiest fish are large and predatory such as tuna, marlin and swordfish.’
Early 20th century from marlinspike (with reference to its pointed snout).
Are You Learning Spanish? See Our Spanish Content Below!