Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A concentration of denser material below the surface of the moon or other body, causing a local increase in gravitational pull.
- ‘Researchers spotted a mass concentration, which they call a mascon dense stuff that welled up from the mantle, likely in an impact.’
- ‘It has been argued that the mascon gravitational anomalies do not necessarily imply departure from isostacy.’
- ‘The negative correlation between the topography and gravitational potential of the mascons suggests that they are dynamically supported.’
- ‘Either the lunar crust and upper mantle have been strong enough to support these loads elastically, or the mascon loads have been decaying through viscous deformation of the lunar interior since their formation.’
- ‘In practice, the spacecraft deviated significantly even from predicted orbits that took into account the gravitational forces of the mascons.’
1960s from mas(s) con(centration).
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips