Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
The total number of protons and neutrons in a nucleus.
- ‘The sum of the protons and neutrons is called the mass number.’
- ‘Various numbers are used to define nuclei: the atomic number, Z, is the number of protons, while the mass number is the sum of the atomic number and the number of neutrons, N.’
- ‘The mass number gives you the total number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus of that element.’
- ‘Different isotopes of the same element have different mass numbers because their nuclei contain different numbers of neutrons.’
- ‘Mathematical calculations employing the proportions and mass numbers have assigned titanium a mean atomic weight of 47.88.’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips