Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A seaman qualified to be a captain, especially of a merchant ship.
- ‘The town, famed as the home of master mariner Captain Cook, put out a worldwide appeal for replacement bones in 2000 and its Alaskan twin, Anchorage, came to the rescue after securing a huge pair of bowhead jawbones from Barrow, Alaska.’
- ‘Among thirty-eight or so individuals with whom he had direct dealings are included a member of the local gentry, merchants, factors, victuallers and master mariners.’
- ‘In 1886 he became a British subject and a master mariner and in 1894, after 20 years at sea, he settled in England and devoted himself to writing.’
- ‘Many of them are master mariners who had extensive careers at sea before coming ashore.’
- ‘After his secondary schooling he initially went to technical college and did civil engineering, but his heart was at sea, so he completed a course to be a master mariner.’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips