A notional point on the surface of the abdomen that is often the site of maximal tenderness to palpation in appendicitis, located two-thirds of the way along a line from the umbilicus to the right anterior superior iliac spine (approx. 1½–2 inches or 4–5 cm from the iliac spine).
Late 19th century. In some forms from the genitive of the name of Charles McBurney, U.S. surgeon, who described the point in 1889 (N.Y. Med. Jrnl 50 678) + point.