Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
The dark green substance forming the first faeces of a newborn infant.
- ‘Infants who pass thin meconium, which is yellow to light green and watery, are more likely to be healthy at birth.’
- ‘In 95 percent of newborns, meconium is passed by 24 hours of age.’
- ‘The question as to why some infants may discharge meconium in times of stress and other infants do not has not been well studied.’
- ‘A common presentation is failure to pass meconium in the first 24 hours coupled with a gradual onset of abdominal distension and vomiting.’
- ‘Urine samples were collected from the women and meconium samples were collected from each baby.’
Early 18th century from Latin, literally ‘poppy juice’, from Greek mēkōnion, from mēkōn ‘poppy’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips