A small, slender freshwater fish with the dorsal fin set back near the tail, native to parts of SE Asia and Japan.
Family Oryziatidae and genus Oryzias: several species
- ‘Genetic linkage maps have been developed for a number of fish species, including zebra fish, medaka, catfish, rainbow trout, Atlantic salmon, and Lake Malawi cichlids.’
- ‘In the medaka, cortisol treatment increased the ability of acid-exposed fish to maintain plasma sodium levels.’
- ‘The Japanese medaka were purchased from a biological supply company.’
- ‘This estimate is similar to the value of tilapia, medaka, and Japanese flounder.’
- ‘Such a lack of uniformity has been reported in medaka and zebrafish.’
Early 20th century from Japanese me(y) ‘eye’ + -daka ‘high’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips