Basic Guidelines For English Spellings
nouninformal North American
Mad or idiotic ideas or behavior.
insanity, insaneness, dementia, mental illness, derangement, dementedness, instability, unsoundness of mind, lunacy, distraction, depression, mania, hysteria, frenzy, psychosis, psychopathy, schizophrenia, hydrophobia
- ‘there's method in this man's meshugaas’
- ‘And while it has thus far been unable to realize a minor profit, at least it has each week conjured the meshugaas of Damian and of Kalvos.’
- ‘My only excuse is that amidst all the meshugaas going on on Wednesday, particularly the fact I was so hung over, I simply made a mistake.’
- ‘The one in Iraq may still read like a success story to a handful of Likudo-fascists, but looks like a stinking meshugaas to the rest of the planet.’
- ‘But what about the reporter whose research started the whole impeachment meshugaas of 1998 when the gossip maven broke details of the investigation in his online column?’
- ‘Having skipped the election meshugaas, except as a spectator, I thought I was in for a calm year of commentary.’
- ‘They learned that they did not need to be entertained by man-made meshugaas.’
Early 20th century Yiddish, noun from meshuga.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips