Relating to or consisting of several similar segments or somites.‘Indeed, there is: somites in metameric animals usually form sequentially from a posterior growth zone, a process found again in all three branches of the bilaterians.’
- ‘The term iteration is used to denote processes that result in both metameric segments and repeated ectodermal skeletal structures.’
- ‘Notably, the oldest known Early Cambrian chordate Yunnanozoon had its metameric muscular units located dorsally of the notochord, although its body was laterally compressed.’
- ‘The body divided into a distinct cephalon and metameric trunk.’
- ‘An organism is considered metameric when its body is mostly formed of serially repeated anatomical units called metameres.’
dated Having the same proportional composition and molecular weight, but different functional groups and chemical properties; isomeric.
- ‘And chemists use meta - to differentiate certain metameric chemical compounds (such as metacresol, paracresol, orthocresol).’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips