A synthetic compound that interferes with cell growth and is used to treat leukaemia and other forms of cancer.
Chemical formula: C₂₀H₂₂N₈O₅
- ‘Cancer drugs used for primary bone cancer include methotrexate, doxorubicin, and cisplatin.’
- ‘Treatment may include systemic steroids, intralesional steroid injection, antimalarials, or methotrexate.’
- ‘Antimalarial drugs or immune response modifiers like methotrexate can reduce steroid dose and side effects.’
- ‘Another combination is methotrexate plus cyclo-sporine and methotrexate.’
- ‘The patient was treated with methotrexate and leukovorin calcium, and tumor lysis syndrome with acute renal failure occurred.’
1950s from meth- (denoting a substance containing methyl groups) + elements of unknown origin.
Are You Learning Spanish? Here's Some Of Our Spanish Content