Used to address or refer to an English noblewoman or great lady.‘I went off to milady's boudoir’
- ‘Mistress Dina said my milady must come to the queen's private quarters right away.’
- ‘Yes, milady, and the prophesy is being fulfilled at the moment!’
- ‘Do not fall in love with a knight, milady, or you shall sleep with the rats as well.’
- ‘My name is Pippa, and please milady, I am taught to address you as such.’
- ‘If only you weren't so tanned, milady, you'd be more beautiful than any court lady!’
Late 18th century via French from English my lady; compare with milord.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips