The belief or desire of a government or people that a country should maintain a strong military capability and be prepared to use it aggressively to defend or promote national interests.
- ‘the hostility and militarism of the regime has not ebbed in any perceptible manner’
- ‘You're out to expose imperialism, militarism, and nationalism for what they really are.’
- ‘Based on this standpoint, we oppose every form of militarism and nationalism.’
- ‘He loathes war and militarism, and despises chauvinism in every form.’
- ‘We must concentrate on creating conditions to restrain militarism and military adventurism in the world.’
- ‘Therefore, it came with a heavy baggage of chauvinist-nationalism and militarism.’
Mid 19th century from French militarisme, from militaire (see military).