Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
1A period of a thousand years.
- 1.1A thousandth anniversary.‘Clearly, much of what was propagated about Alfred at the time of the millenary was based on the accretion of centuries of tradition and myth.’
- ‘The Alfred the Great millenary in 1901 makes this problem apparent.’
- 1.1A thousandth anniversary.
Consisting of a thousand people, years, etc.‘he mustered millenary forces’
- ‘For them, the millenary celebrations proffered an avenue to the rebuilding of the cultural self-confidence needed to continue ruling the empire.’
- ‘Thornycroft was thus largely given free rein to devise an idealized image of Anglo-Saxon Englishness in his statue for the millenary commemoration.’
Mid 16th century from late Latin millenarius ‘having a thousand’, based on Latin mille ‘thousand’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips