Basic Guidelines For English Spellings
1A sweet yellow fruit that is a variety of the greengage.‘The mirabelles, which are another group of mainly yellow plums, are also hard to classify with confidence but placed by some authorities as varieties of P. insititia.’
- ‘It smells racy, intense and richly baroque, glittering with aromas of apricots, nectarines and mirabelles.’
- ‘That's when we saw a section which had first escaped our attention, the pick-your-own plum trees - dozens upon dozens of beautiful leafy trees, positively laden with quetsches and mirabelles.’
- ‘This time I had semi-dried black figs, large white figs, prunes, mirabelles (a kind of plum), and pears, all of which are from France.’
- ‘Luxembourg also produces eaux-de-vie, or plum brandies, made from mirabelle (yellow plums) and quetsch (purple plums).’
- 1.1The tree that bears mirabelles.
- 1.2A liqueur distilled from mirabelles.
Early 18th century from French.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips