Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A person who performs the Jewish rite of circumcision.
- ‘The ceremony takes place in the home and is usually performed by a mohel, an observant Jew who may be a rabbi, doctor, or simply one skilled in the technique.’
- ‘The procedure is performed by a mohel - a person who has mastered the set of Jewish laws regarding circumcision and received extensive practical training.’
- ‘The child is taken from the mother, and the operation, performed by the mohel, is a predominantly male affair (it is the father's duty to arrange it).’
- ‘Michelangelo's statue of Moses makes it clear that he was one of Paul's mohelim.’
- ‘Then the mohel began the naming ceremony, and some relatives and friends offered their wishes for this young life.’
Mid 17th century from Hebrew mōhēl.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips