Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
1The study of the forms of things.
- 1.1Biology The branch of biology that deals with the form of living organisms, and with relationships between their structures.‘Analysis of covariance revealed some relationships between subspecies morphology / growth habit and local environmental conditions.’
- ‘Organisms were identified by morphology and biochemical reactions.’
- ‘Gross changes in chromosome morphology occur at each mitosis.’
- ‘Given the relationship with male morphology, another question arising from these studies is what determines wasp body size.’
- ‘Indeed, far more studies have examined the relationship between morphology and performance than between performance and fitness.’
- 1.2Linguistics The study of the forms of words.‘Dialect encompasses various aspects of the language - syntax, morphology, lexicon, phonology.’
inflection, form, ending
- ‘In some circumstances, languages borrow morphology as well as vocabulary.’
- ‘French has inflectional morphology to indicate plurality, person, number, and tense, so inflection is not a foreign concept.’
- ‘Of central concern is the relationship between morphology and phonology.’
- ‘The general implication is that the ambiguities that exist in the relationships between orthography, phonology, and morphology underlie spelling knowledge.’
- 1.1Biology The branch of biology that deals with the form of living organisms, and with relationships between their structures.
Mid 19th century from Greek morphē ‘form’+ -logy.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips