1(of an internal combustion engine) having more than two valves per cylinder, typically four (two inlet and two exhaust)‘a multivalve engine’
- ‘a switch to multivalve technology’
- ‘The 1248 cc turbo-diesel engine - the smallest multivalve diesel engines in the world - produces 70 bhp @ 4000 rpm and 180Nm of torque at just 1750 rpm.’
- ‘The high-winding, multivalve engines were re-tuned for grunt work with new reinforced-plastic intake manifolds designed to boost the lower half of their torque curves.’
- ‘More higher revving, multivalve 4-and 6-cylinder designs are replacing the old guard, bringing the fleet averages much closer to their rivals.’
- ‘Under the bonnet, the engines will all be the latest multivalve units which have been modified to cope with the 2005 EU rules on emissions.’
(of a shell etc.) having several valves.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips