1Difficult or impossible to understand, explain, or identify.‘his colleague had vanished in mysterious circumstances’
puzzling, strange, peculiar, curious, funny, queer, odd, weird, bizarre, mystifying, inexplicable, baffling, perplexing, bewildering, confusing, uncanny, dark, impenetrable, incomprehensible, unexplainable, unfathomable, Delphic, sibylline, unaccountable, insoluble, obscureView synonyms
- ‘a mysterious benefactor provided the money’
- 1.1(of a location) having an atmosphere of strangeness or secrecy.
- ‘a dark, mysterious, windowless building’
- 1.2(of a person) deliberately enigmatic.
enigmatic, inscrutable, secretive, sphinxlike, cloak-and-dagger, reticent, non-committal, discreet, evasive, furtive, surreptitious, covertView synonyms
- ‘she was mysterious about herself but said plenty about her husband’
Late 16th century from French mystérieux, from mystère ‘mystery’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips