The chemical element of atomic number 60, a silvery-white metal of the lanthanide series. Neodymium is a component of misch metal and some other alloys, and its compounds are used in colouring glass and ceramics.
- ‘We see cerium, lanthanum, neodymium, and so forth, which indicate we are dealing with a rare-earth mineral, and that can mean big problems.’
- ‘They are composed of iron, boron and neodymium, one of the rarest metals on Earth and their strength range from 2000 to 3600 gauss.’
- ‘Among the most important of these alloys are those containing iron and neodymium along with boron.’
- ‘There is also a tendency to keep the business in the family, an issue in particular for China Rare Earth, a processor of rare elements like neodymium, which is used in mobile-phone batteries.’
- ‘China is a major producer of neodymium, and the U.S. magnet factories sold much of their production to the electronics factories of East Asia.’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips