Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
Small aquatic organisms inhabiting the surface layer or moving on the surface film.
- ‘Catch efficiency of the neuston net was 4.2 times higher than the surface ring net for larvae.’
- ‘To obtain such quantitative data it is necessary to measure the quantity of water that has been scanned by the mouth opening of the neuston net into which the marine life has been gathered.’
- ‘Repeated sampling was more extensive with bongo / Tucker gear than with neuston gear.’
- ‘The neuston net is towed at the water's surface to sample plankton.’
- ‘On the OREGON II, neuston nets are deployed off the starboard side of the forward deck with the forward crane which rests in a cradle during the tow.’
Early 20th century via German from Greek, neuter of neustos ‘swimming’, on the pattern of plankton.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips