Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
The presence of abnormally few neutrophils in the blood, leading to increased susceptibility to infection.
- ‘Fever and infection, due to neutropenia, are infrequent at presentation, but may occur later in the disease.’
- ‘As for safety, most drugs caused the usual signs of cytotoxicity, including neutropenia, thrombocytopenia, fever, infections, and gastrointestinal toxicity.’
- ‘Prophylactic antibiotics can prevent infections and save lives in patients who develop neutropenia after chemotherapy for cancer, say researchers from Israel.’
- ‘Patients usually present with fatigue, weakness, dyspnea, and other symptoms related to anemia, and occasionally with recurrent infections due to neutropenia, or bleeding related to thrombocytopenia.’
- ‘Acute bacterial infections, notably salmonellosis, brucellosis, pertussis, tuberculosis and rickettsial infections, can cause neutropenia.’
1930s from neutral + Greek penia ‘poverty, lack’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips