Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
An administrative division or region in Russia and the former Soviet Union, and in some constituent republics of the former Soviet Union.
- ‘In the 1990s, governors of oblasts (administrative units roughly comparable to states) and presidents of republics acquired significant political autonomy.’
- ‘Ukraine has twenty-four administrative units - oblasts - almost all named for their capitals.’
- ‘McLure tells us that the Siberian oblast of Tyumen, with 2 percent of Russia's people, yields 65 percent of Russia's oil.’
- ‘The WHO report on multidrug resistance only surveyed two oblasts in the Russian Federation, Ivanovo and Tomsk.’
- ‘The prison authorities in the oblast targeted the social harm that crime causes.’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips